teaching me something about survival
but then I remembered
that the ocean never
handed me the gift of swimming.
I gave it to myself."
|-||Y.Z, what I forgot to remember (via sakesashimi)|
|-||Y.Z, what I forgot to remember (via sakesashimi)|
TFW UR AT SCHOOL AND U SPEND LUNCH DOING JJBA POSES
1) You will hurt people. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes without meaning to, but you will hurt people. It doesn’t make you a bad person, but learn to accept that you may be a villain in someone else’s book.
2) Learn to apologize. Learn to mean your apologies. Learn to say them with sympathy. Apologies are not about your conscience, or about your problems - they are about someone else - understand that! Understand that words can’t undo deeds, they do not heal. Do not demand forgiveness, work for it. Accept responsibility, do not shy away from it. But never, ever, apologize to appease someone. It is a betrayal - of yourself, as much as it’s a betrayal of them.
3) Own your body! Own the softness of your tummy. Love your legs even when they’re hairy. Look at your face without makeup and find things to love - the eyes of the survivor and the lips that speak wonders and those cheeks that flush when you laugh. Love the parts that jiggle and the parts that are firm. Love all of you.
4) Do not be afraid to take up space. There is a difference between being polite and being invisible. Do not be afraid to laugh loudly, to smile widely, to talk passionately. Do not be afraid to exist fully, unapologetically.
5) There is nothing you can do to make someone fall in love with you. Let me repeat that - there is nothing you can do to make someone fall in love with you. Because see, the only thing you can do is change, but then they wouldn’t be falling in love with you, but with the person you’re trying to be for them. They’d be falling in love with things you stopped yourself from saying, and laughs you faked and the hairstyle you hate. They’d be falling in love with a person you don’t even like. Find someone who will love you the way you are, someone with whom you don’t have to try.
6) Make playlists. I know, I know this seems silly, but trust me on this one, make playlists. A playlist to help you sleep and a playlist to calm you down at 3am when the walls around you seem to be crumbling. Make playlists, because sometimes there won’t be people around to remind you of who you are, to remind you how strong you are, to tell you to put the razor blade down. And the thing is - the music might. But more importantly, it will remind you of who you are, it will remind you of the sunny Sunday morning when you spent hours compiling it, it will remind you that darkness is only temporary, that tears dry, that you know how to smile, that you love to smile.
7) Learn how to write cover letters well, really well! Write a great CV! Take your time. Formatting is important. Use spell-check and punctuation and for the love of God use a decent font! Always come 15 minutes early for interviews. Have a spare pair of tights in your bag. Do not drink coffee on the way! When asked about your flaws, do not say you’re a perfectionist - there is nothing employers hate more! No one cares about that play you were in, in 10th grade and the three guitar chords you kind of know. Always read the company profile. Be informed. Do not lie. Admit when you don’t know something. Ask for instructions again if you don’t understand. Do more than you are required - workplace is not school, there is no limit to what you can achieve!"
SCREAMS BC P5 AND NEWS
I’ve said this before and I’ll point it out again -
Menstruation is caused by change in hormonal levels to stop the creation of a uterine lining and encourage the body to flush the lining out. The body does this by lowering estrogen levels and raising testosterone.
Or, to put it more plainly “That time of the month” is when female hormones most closely resemble male hormones. So if (cis) women aren’t suited to office at “That time of the month” then (cis) men are NEVER suited to office.
If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time.
And, on a final note, post-menopausal (cis) women are the most hormonally stable of all human demographics. They have fewer hormonal fluctuations of anyone, meaning older women like Hilary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren would theoretically be among the least likely candidates to make an irrational decision due to hormonal fluctuations, and if we were basing our leadership decisions on hormone levels, then only women over fifty should ever be allowed to hold office."
"If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time. "
i’ve reblogged this before, but after watching “last comic standing” with my boyfriend and hearing way more period jokes than i thought would pass in 2014, gonna just put it out there again.
Can we please stop stealing people’s art without their consent?
Especially Japanese artists?
Because believe or not, when you take a dojinka’s art and post it somewhere else without permission, not only will you make them very sad (not to mention angry) when they find out, but…
IF YOU ARE STREAMING, DON’T USE PROCASTER.
DON’T. USE. PROCASTER.
Livestream procaster consumes large amounts of cpu for nothing. No joke, nothing. As a result your stream can become laggy and sometimes it can damage your hardware as your PC has to push itself to keep what…
Every Tuesday night at 9pm EST there is an excellent twitter chat called #HipHopEd . Last night’s topic was, ‘What Is Hip Hop’s Role In The School To Prison Pipeline?’ I used this time to breakdown the connection between hip hop and private prisons, which fuel the School To Prison Pipeline.
While hip hop is not solely and directly responsible for the School To Prison Pipeline, it definitely plays a role as those who control what we listen to and see invest in private prisons.
CCA is the Corrections Corporation of America, they are the oldest & largest private prison company in the United States. Not only have they capitalized on the failed war on drugs by housing drug offenders, they also found a way to bring in new revenue by incarcerating undocumented immigrants.
GEO is the second largest private prison company in the U.S. and has facilities in the UK, Australia and south Africa.
When we dig into the financials, investments & shareholders of media conglomerates and private prisons, we begin to see some familiar names. Vanguard is one name that comes up frequently as their hands dip in both media interests AND private prisons. Not only is Vanguard the largest shareholder in CCA, they are also the largest shareholder in GEO. When you hold as much stock as Vanguard, it is easy to assume, and rightfully so, that there is enough power to decide what we see and hear on the radio and tv.
*I know you all are sticklers for wording, so let me say that filling the radio stations with music that glamorizes criminal lifestyles and drug use is only ONE of MANY ways to help fill prisons when crime rates are down & companies like CCA are requiring 90% occupancy*
As always, please don’t take anything that I blog on here for fact. These are my truths as I have researched for myself, now I urge you to do the same. I have posted some links to help get you started. Let’s continue to learn and educate ourselves and others so we can work collectively to dismantle the the prison industrial complex!
Time Warner Cable Holdings: http://bit.ly/1qXjzJu
CCA Holdings: http://bit.ly/1mnlhMA
GEO Holdings: http://bit.ly/1oE9JJd
Letter sent by CCA soliciting states to keep prisons 90% full: http://huff.to/1qXiv8p
GEO website: http://www.geogroup.com/
CCA website (take a look at their board of directors, you’ll find a familiar name on there): http://www.correctionscorp.com/
Truth tea flood